Friday, October 23, 2015

Communicate Like A Hero

A hero sandwich that is!  Maybe you have heard about a technique whereby you begin your message with a friendly and respectful opening, then, address your direct message (the “meat”) in the second part and finish with a positive expectation… hence the “sandwich” concept.

I have seen this work so well in so many circumstances, I feel it bears repeating. Let me show you how this works…  When you begin your message from a position of alignment you put the other person at ease.  


Part One:

The first part of your message allows you to connect with your listener, grabbing their attention with your agreement, your empathetic posture, your positive intention, or your description of a shared objective.

Here are some examples…
“I understand your concerns”…
“I want this to go smoothly”
“I don’t want either of us to have a problem later”
“I know this is a very busy time for you and your group”
“I’m a reaching out to be sure that we are on the same page”
“I want to make sure you have all the details”

Part Two:

Part two is where you, as the speaker, practice your direct communication skills.  No fluff, no extra words.  Nice and concise.

Think bullet points, for example…
“Here are my three concerns”
“Here is what I need you to do”
“I want to be sure that all of these action items are addressed before the next meeting”
“These are the things that are most important to me”
“Here are all the details”

Having provided the soft opening allows you to leave all the pleasantries out here. You can be factual and straightforward. This is much more impactful than diluting the meat of your message your message with anything resembling an apologetic, or “wishy-washy” tone.

Part Three :

Here is the chance to express your gratitude, to offer your own support or to express your optimism.  Keep it simple don’t go overboard.

This might sound like…
“I’m glad we had this conversation”
“Let me know if you need anything else from me”
“Thank you for your assistance”
“I’m sure once this is resolved, things will be a lot better”
“I am looking forward to working with you”

This “sandwich technique” works equally well in person or in writing.  If you are trying to provide a paper trail or documentation, this polite and respectful approach will always represent your efficiency and professionalism.

So think of your messages in three parts and start communicating like a hero!


No comments:

Post a Comment