Friday, April 18, 2014

Re-inventing the To-do List

I am a big to-do lister.  I have always been disciplined about focusing my attention and I love the feeling of crossing things off. Sometimes, I confess, I even add items I have done to the list that weren’t there just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing them off.

The Problem with the To-do List...

The problem with the “to-do” list is that is typically focuses us on the mundane tasks of the day, leaving us little time to address other areas of our lives that may need our attention.  Although we may get an instant gratification from the accomplishments, it does little to nourish our desire for true momentum in our lives.  I realize that when I become more disciplined with my to-do listing, my life can become out of balance.  Although I may be getting a lot “done”, I am likely neglecting important things like my health or my relationships. For example, I am a runner and each time I have trained for a big race I have had a strict training plan.  My single-minded focus can deliver a great result, but also keeps me from attending to the important relationships in my life because all my free time goes to training. The pleasure of that accomplishment is then tainted by the realization of those neglected priorities.  Work can do that to us as well if we are not diligent about balance.

The New Angle…

I came up with a technique that addresses this balance issue for me. I recently shared this with a friend who was out of work. She found it particularly useful for maintaining her sanity while she went through that long and difficult time.  The thing about a job search is that although you need to stay focused and diligent in pursuing your network and potential opportunities, it’s just not a full-time job.  There is a lot of waiting.  Anyone who has been through that will tell you that you will spend a lot of your time without visible results.  Feeling productive is the only way you will maintain the stamina you will need to stay confident and motivated.  Loss of a professional identity is painful, and financial well-being is an important aspect of our lives.  However, spending too much mental energy on what you don’t have at the moment is a sure-fire way to drain your battery.  So I offer this strategy, particularly to my job-seeking friends. 

Here is the Strategy…
  1. Each week begin with a blank piece of paper
  2. Draw a cross on the page +, creating four quadrants
  3. At the top of each quadrant, name an aspect of your life. For me it's usually; Work/Professional, Relationships, Spiritual/Self-Development, Health/Wellness.
  4. Then, identify a few key tasks for the week in each area. Maybe it's reading a chapter of a book, connecting with a friend you haven't seen, getting to the gym 2-3 times, as well as the day's "must-dos".
The categories can change each week.  Sometimes there is Financial heading, for example, last week I needed to put together my taxes.  Sometimes, I have an Organize heading if my environment feels chaotic.  I find this exercise of listing of a broader range of priorities in one place, on one page allows my focus to be divided appropriately.  I am not overly ambitious, just a few things in each category, but I find it really helps me maintain balance.  This gives me the sense of “whole life” accomplishment that I need to feel healthy and productive.

I will leave you with some words from poet and philosopher David Whyte who says… Start with a new to-do list each day, the one you wrote yesterday was written by the person you were yesterday. Start fresh with a beautiful blank piece of paper!

image credit: collegemonster.com
 



No comments:

Post a Comment