Friday, August 21, 2015

In Praise of a Measured Response

I have been observing leaders in all walks of life, a favorite pastime of mine.  Although I am the least likely person to engage in a political debate, I, like the rest of the United States, have been watching the horse race leading up to our candidate selection for the next Presidential election.

When I have a strong reaction to something or someone, I usually try to understand where my reaction is coming from.  This helps me to better understand what I value and appreciate in others.  What I “hold dear” if you will.  I find that I value emotional control and a measured response above many other qualities when it comes to having respect for and giving a leader credibility. I am very happy to listen to opinions that are different than my own if they are thoughtful, strategic and based on data.  I can even be inspired by an impassioned plea even if I don’t share the passion.  It’s the emotional responses that are usually rash and acrimonious that send me diving for the remote control.  Anything that incites back-pedaling or takes days to qualify and repair is an error in judgment as far as I am concerned. 

Webster's dictionary defines a measured response as "done with both thought and care". I am not alone in the value I place on emotional control. Countless studies following Daniel Goleman's original work on Emotional Intelligence suggest that this matters a lot to most people.  Goleman describes a state when the emotion of a situation overrides your reasoning as an “amygdala hijacking”.  This emotional hijacking has three key signs: strong emotional reaction, sudden onset, and “when you reflect later, you realize it was inappropriate.”  Sounds a lot like the program guide for most televised political debates!

Here’s why emotional control matters:

Decision-Making

Emotional control allows reasoning skills to prevail supporting constructive decisions leading to better long-term outcomes.

Trust

The ability to empathize with others and to display a tolerance for alternative points of view contributes to trust. Trust is essential to building open relationships that effectively inspire the support and contributions of others.  Emotional volatility is like kryptonite to trust.

Predictability

We look to our leaders to have consistent, predictable responses.  We want to know and understand who they are so that we can offer our endorsement, our advocacy.  This can only be offered when we feel an alignment with their perspective and values.

If this is a challenge for you personally, develop strategies that allow you to keep your emotional reactions to yourself.  Successful people know how to process their emotions efficiently before they respond.  This takes some practice.  If your emotions tend to get the best of you, develop an "emotionally sensitive" vocabulary. Having responses that allow you to respond while at the same time granting you the opportunity for a moment of reflection are valuable for anyone.  For example, saying “I’m not sure I agree with that” is much better than blurting out “you are out of your mind”. After a little reflection, you will be better-equipped  to offer a strong and compelling response.  If you work at this diligently, you will shorten the reflection time and soon your emotional self-control will be available to you “real-time”.

Leadership is tough business whether you are negotiating with foreign nationals in the White House, holding down the fort in your office, or delivering bad news to your team. It’s all the same.  Emotional stress is emotional stress, and being capable of processing  that emotional stress by managing our gut reactions is critical to our success and our credibility. Maybe we are lucky that our employees don’t have to vote for us in order for us to stay around! 

image credit: neuronetlearning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment