Friday, December 5, 2014

About That Small Stuff....

I recently had a conversation with a coaching client and we were talking about productivity.  We got on to the topic of motivation and she made reference to the adage by Robert Eliot that says “Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff”.  This quote became  popular when Richard Carlson used it as a title for a best-selling self-help book about managing life’s worries.  My client shared with me, that as hard as she tries to overlook the details, she does in fact care a lot about the small stuff and that it is her attention to detail that has led her to her greatest achievements.  As I listened to her, I had to agree that I also have a fondness for detail.  I do love the small stuff, and I do in fact care a lot about finer details of my life.

We discussed the frustration that can come from dealing with things that have been thrown together or hastily prepared and the distraction of small annoyances that negatively impact both focus and personal creativity.  I know that for me, when I am particularly busy or stressed I need to stop and straighten up my workspace. I know that this is not the best use of my time, but it never takes long.  After 15-20 minutes of organizing, I feel focused and relaxed and I know that my personal output and my work product is much better.  I also know that when I complete an arduous task, even if I am spent, taking the extra time to add that last special detail feels like putting a cherry atop a beautifully iced cake.  And it is often that final detail that brings me recognition and perhaps more importantly, personal satisfaction.

A friend of mine tends to think a lot about her relationships and conversations. She will often find herself spinning and replaying conversations, wondering about the other’s true intention or impressions. This can certainly be characterized as “sweating the small stuff”, but knowing her the way I do, I know she will never be casual about these interactions.  She is thoughtful, deep and sensitive. Those are wonderful qualities and attending to her personal relationships with such care has brought her meaningful connections with the people in her life.  Embracing these qualities rather than working hard to be more casual seems authentic.

What we are really talking about here is motivational triggers.  Understanding your motivational triggers is key to optimizing your contribution and your personal contentment. 


  • Think about how you like to work. Consider your work environment and take the time to make it both comfortable and inspiring.
  • Consider the successes that have made you most proud in the past.  What were the dynamics of those projects?  Can you re-create those working conditions?
  • Try to give yourself time to do your best work.  If you are like me, and details matter, try to allow time for those final finishing touches.
  •  If it is your thinking style that has you laboring over relationship factors, develop a habit of discussing your feelings.  Plan for what you want to say and have the conversation sooner rather than later. Be respectful of the other person’s time and be economical with your words.  Don’t beat a dead horse and let it go when you are done.
  • Celebrate your successes and go ahead and focus on your failures… analyze them, study them, and turn them inside out and THEN move on and do better!

The answer here is balance. I think it is so very important that we stay attentive to our needs.  Practically speaking we all have a lot to do, and productivity is certainly a life-skill mastered by those who are most successful.  But spending the extra time attending to the circumstances we require to stay motivated, relaxed, and comfortable is smart and healthy.  It is worthwhile and important.

So go ahead and sweat a little. After all, Harvey S. Firestone once said,                                                                                                                                              Success is the sum of detail”.

image credit: driverlayer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment